Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Imagination Emerging

I guess as long as kids are playing with toys, they're imagining, but John seems to have jumped to a new level over the past few days. Although he's really having a rough time with teeth, a bit of a cold I think, and his whole world turning upside down; he's really impressed me with a few things. He's still really sweet to his baby sister and loves for her to be around, he just doesn't want me to feed her. He does try to give her a pacifier (and gets really upset that she doesn't seem to want it), asks to see her as soon as he gets out of bed, and pats her head when she cries. It's very sweet. On the other hand, his new favorite phrase is "Baby down" because he wants me to put her down.

Back to his imagination, just this week for the first time I saw him imagining that food was something else. He had a piece of breakfast bread that he was imagining was a car, and a chip was a boat. He was also playing with Thomas the train yesterday at breakfast and thought it would be nice to share his breakfast. It's so fun to see his imagination coming out.

I was also really impressed yesterday because he found a puzzle that a neighbor handed down. It has different colored cars with numbers 1-10 on them. I put the puzzle on the table for him. I'm pretty sure he hasn't seen it before. He started counting. Now, mind you, he missed a few numbers, but basically got the ones he remembered in order. And what really impressed me was that he recognized that the numbers on the cars were numbers, and that's what we're saying when we count.

Oh, and one other thing that really impressed Buck. My parents have a bird feeder at the kitchen table and he loves to watch the birds. They've been working on the bird names with him. The other day we had a finch at our bird feeder and I asked John what kind it was. When he said Finch, Buck looked at me in disbelief as if it were luck, but he really does know a handful of them. I think Buck was mostly impressed because I'm not sure HE knows what a finch is :)

Not much of an update on Eve. She's still sleeping almost all the time. I had to wake her up to feed her last night, and I'm really having trouble keeping her awake to eat. She had another bath last night and HATED IT! She'll like it once she can get in rather than just using a wash cloth. She needs to hurry up and lose her umbilical cord because if she doesn't John's likely to pull it off. He tried yesterday to no avail.

No comments: