Friday, August 26, 2011

Milestones

If I had it to do all over again, I wouldn't have chosen John's birthday right at the start of school.  Emotionally it's a double whammy!
John had a great time on his birthday.  We woke him up to open presents before Daddy left for work.  At first he wanted to sleep some more, but a few minutes passed and the word "presents" finally made it through his sleepy head.  He was so excited about his Finn McMisslie car, chinook helicopter, and Star Wars action figures (Buck was pretty excited about them all too).  We went to Krispy Kreme for breakfast, were able to talk to lots of family on Skype, which was lots of fun, and ended the day with a pool party with lots of friends.  John had a really great time.  I can't believe he's 5!!!  He's still really excited about all his new toys and I'm having trouble getting him to do much of anything else.  He hasn't even been asking to watch TV!
Yesterday we went to the doctor for his well visit.  He's 46 inches tall (85th percentile) and 48 pounds (92nd percentile).  He did vision and hearing tests for the first time and did a great job.  He was so brave, even knowing he'd probably get a finger stick, until I decided to go ahead and get flu shots for all 3.  John went first and was cool until I hugged him to lay down.  Then he lost it and was very tense when he got the shot, so he limped all day yesterday.  I think he's recovered now.  Eve whimpered a little, but then was fine and was even asking why John was crying.  After all that drama, while John was still screaming, it was time to prick his finger.  Needless to say, it took him a while to recover, but still I'd say he did a good job.
Seems like with each age it's harder to give a description.  John is very inquisitive, likes to figure things out on his own, loves working puzzles (and is quite good at it), is very good at following lego diagrams to put legos together, likes all the colors of the rainbow, would rather play or watch fun TV than go to school or wherever we're headed (but always ends up having a good time).  He's very sensitive in a good way.  The other night it was near the anniversary of Daddy's death, so I was crying when I said their prayers and I talked with them about Papa a bit.  The next morning while John was eating or playing with something he asked me, "Mom, are you still missing Papa?"  He's just really a sweet kid.  He loves his sisters.  He's rough with them, but really really loves them and plays well with them...sort of.  He's still very strong willed, and gives up on most things easily if he's frustrated, but if it's something he's decided to finish, that strong will really works to his advantage.  He likes to talk to everyone and tell them everything.  He enjoys practicing being friendly mostly by complimenting their clothing.  He's also been very consistent with thanking people for things, in such a manner that it's almost like he's practicing.  He makes sure to thank me for making supper and thank Daddy for working hard to make the money to pay for supper.  He can be rough and selfish, and sometimes have a bad attitude (like the rest of us), but for the most part people talk about what a sweet kid he is.  Smart and thoughtful.  He also really enjoys imagining and is really creative.  So many things I love about this little boy!
And one last milestone, today was Meet the Teacher.  John met his Kindergarten (gulp) teachers, Mrs. Storch and Mrs. Howell, and Eve met her pre-school teachers, Mrs. Douglass and Mrs. Gray.  Eve was so excited that as soon as we walked in the door she gave me a quick hug and kiss and ran in.  I had to explain to her that school doesn't actually start until Monday and we were just coming in to meet her teachers.  I'd say she's ready.  I think they're both going to have a great year.

No comments: