Saturday, May 24, 2008

Balloon Time

So, now that it's time to chase balloons, he's finally decided to give in to the nap. We used to chase hot-air balloons at a festival called "Freedom Weekend Aloft" when I was little. It was so much fun. The festival moved to Anderson for a while, but came back to Simpsonville last year. We missed the festival last year because we went to see Grandma (G.G.) for her birthday. We got back Monday night, and what do you know...a strawberry balloon was coming right in to land in Mom and Daddy's pasture! It couldn't have been more perfect! John LOVES strawberries! It was really loud, but still neat for him to see. The owner asked permission to land...granted. He then offered to take people up in tethered rides. John and I were the first to go up. He was nervous, and probably had no idea what was going on, or even that he was off the ground, but now he can say he was up in a balloon before his first birthday! The festival is back this year, so we're hoping to drive around in the jeep with the top down and chase some of the balloons. I don't think he'll be as compliant with going up this year if we get the chance. I think the noise will be more scary, but he'll definitely be much more interested in watching the balloons. We'll see if he wakes up in time.

1 comment:

Judy said...

Oh, I so remember the balloons coming over our house in Mauldin. I remember being on the patio one morning outside with my cuppa and here came a balloon whoofing by, We waves and yelled 'good morning'. Then we went out to, Stephen what is the name of that field where you had an accident with my car? That one, where they had all the balloons set up. I remember it was hot, hot, hot outside but I got a lot of great photos. Note to self look for those slides.

Love, GB